The Council on Minority Mental Health and Health Disparities represents and advocates for both minority and underserved populations and psychiatrists from those groups. The council seeks to reduce mental health disparities in clinical services and research, which disproportionately affect women and minority populations. The council aims to promote the recruitment and development of psychiatrists from minority and underrepresented groups both within the profession and in APA.
Highlights of Responsibilities
- Increase awareness and understanding of cultural diversity and to foster the development of attitudes, knowledge, and skills in the areas of cultural competence through consultation, education, and advocacy within both the APA and the field of psychiatry and public policy.
- In cooperation with other appropriate APA components, enhance the quality and quantity of medical education in addictive disorders, at all educational levels, including undergraduate, residency, fellowship, and continuing medical education
- Develop psychiatric leadership from minority and underrepresented groups both within the profession of psychiatry and in APA.
- Caucus of Rural Psychiatrists
- Caucus on Spirituality, Religion, and Psychiatry
- Christina V. Mangurian, M.D. – Chair
- Helena B. Hansen, M.D., Ph.D. – Vice Chair
- Brian Theodore Benton, M.D.
- Debbie Rene Carter, M.D.
- Enrico Guanzon Castillo, M.D.
- Sidney H. Hankerson, M.D., M.B.A.
- Keith A. Hermanstyne, M.D.
- Elizabeth Horstmann, M.D.
- Christina V. Mangurian, M.D.
- Francis G. Lu, M.D.
- Nyapati R. Rao, M.D.
- Amanda Ruiz Graves, M.D.
- Felix E Torres, M.D.
- Jose P. Vito, M.D.
- Donald H. Williams, M.D.
- Mary Hasbah Roessel, M.D.
- Lauren Douglas, M.D.
- Travis Meadows, M.D.
- Carine Nzodom, M.D.
- Christine Crawford. M.D., M.P.H.
- Amy Gajaria, M.D.
- Jai Gandhi, M.D.
- Matthew Dominguez, M.D., M.P.H.
- Jessica Moore, M.D.
- Evita Rocha, M.D., M.P.H.
- Samra Sahlu, M.D.
- Puneet Sahota, M.D., Ph.D.
- Evaristo O. Akerele, M.D.
- Tatiana A. Falcone, M.D.