Register with CMS’ Open Payments
Registration is rather cumbersome, so make sure to follow the directions closely and allow enough time to complete it in one session:
- Log in to the CMS Enterprise Portal
- Click the button on the far right that says “Request access now,” then click “Request new system access
- Select “Open Payments” from the drop-down menu and input your personal information
- Log out of the system and wait two minutes, then log back in
- Select “Create my profile”
- Select “Start profile” at the bottom of the next screen
- Select the profile type “Physician” and then select “Continue”
- Enter your personal information, making sure to fill in the required fields that are marked with an asterisk. When you are done, select “Continue”
- Do not choose “Cancel” unless you want to start over; canceling will erase all data
- Enter your details, making sure to fill in the required fields that are marked with an asterisk
- When the system asks for your specialty identification code, what it really requires is your provider taxonomy code. The following list captures codes reserved for psychiatrists. Enter the proper taxonomy code in the Open Payments system.
- Physicians are required to enter at least one license number by selecting “Add license” and entering the state in which the license is held and the license number. When you are finished, select “Continue.”
- If desired, choose an individual to represent you within the Open Payments system by entering the required information and the access level. You do not need to designate an authorized representative during this initial registration and may choose to do so later.
- Review the information you’ve entered. Select “Back” to edit any information. If the information is correct, select “Submit.”
The entire registration process must be finished in a single session, according to CMS. Users cannot save entries or complete their profiles at later times. In addition, the system times out after 15 minutes of inactivity, and it does not have an auto-save feature.
Note: If a provider has not accessed the CMS Enterprise Portal in the past 180 days, their password must be reactivated. Please call the CMS Open Payments Help Desk to initiate this process at 1-855-326-8366, Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. (EST).
CMS recommends using only Internet Explorer version 8 or later to register for the Open Payments system. CMS also cautions users against using their browser’s navigation buttons, which can delete registration data.
If you experience any difficulties while attempting to use the Open Payments system, you can contact the CMS help desk via email or phone at (855) 326-8366.