The Council on Research carries out activities to ensure that the substance and significance of research on mental health/illness remain integral parts of the APA mission and in the forefront of the national health agenda. The council embodies APA’s commitment to advance evidence-based psychiatric knowledge across a broad range of research fields and issues.
Highlights of responsibilities
- Recognize psychiatrist researchers who have made significant contributions to psychiatric knowledge and practice.
- Establish task forces in response to emerging needs relevant to the council.
- Advance evidence-based knowledge across a broad spectrum of issues, including but not limited to
- Basic science
- Clinical diagnosis and assessment
- Treatment research
- Research training
- Health services
- Prevention research
- Research ethics
- Committee on Psychiatric Dimensions of Disaster
- Committee on Climate Change and Mental Health
- Caucus of Psychiatrists Treating Persons with Eating Disorders
- Caucus on Integrative Psychiatry
- Caucus on Climate Change and Mental Health
- Jonathan Alpert, M.D., Ph.D – Chair
- Tami Benton, M.D.
- Linda Carpenter, M.D.
- Michael First, M.D.
- Nina Kagruljac, M.D. (ASM)
- Ned Kalin, M.D.
- John Krystal, M.D.
- Charles Nemeroff, M.D.
- Carolyn Rodriguez, M.D., Ph.D
- Naomi Simon, M.D.
- Alik Widge, M.D, Ph.D.
- Lisa Dixon, M.D.
- C. Neill Epperson, M.D.
- Alison Hwong, M.D.
- Jordan Smoller, M.D.
- William McDonald, M.D.
- Alison Hwong, M.D., Ph.D. – Psychiatric Research Fellow
- Hammad Khan, M.D. – SAMHSA Minority Fellow
- Juan Molina, M.D. – SAMHSA Minority Fellow
- Peter Na, M.D., M.P.H. – SAMHSA Minority Fellow
- Ritvij Satodiya, M.D. – Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellow
- Halide Turkozer, M.D. – Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellow
- Sophia Walker, M.D. – Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellow
- Margaret Wang, M.D. – APA/APAF Leadership Fellow
- Heather Ward, M.D. – APA/APAF Leadership Fellow