Publications & Journals
- Receive articles on cutting-edge research and the latest developments in your field with free subscriptions to American Journal of Psychiatry, including AJP in Advance, and Psychiatric News ($362 value).
- Free online subscription to, American Journal of Psychotherapy , APA's peer-reviewed, interdisciplinary journal published quarterly ($225 value).
- Discounted subscription to Psychiatric Services, APA's monthly journal focusing on the delivery of behavioral health services in organized systems ($107 value).
- Discounted subscription to Focus: The Journal of Lifelong Learning in Psychiatry, ($249 value).
- A 20% discount on over 700 books and special member pricing for journals and subscriptions through APA Publishing.
- Access to and opportunity to publish in the online Residents' Journal.
- Opportunities to join the Editorial Board of AJP—Residents' Journal, a forum for psychiatry residents and fellows to share ideas and experiences with colleagues.
- Subscriptions to online newsletters: Psychiatric News Update, and APA Advocacy Update. Manage your communications options.
- Helping Residents Cope with Patient Suicide
- The Supplemental Education and Training (SET) program is an online experience designed to help you build knowledge around the milestones to meet the requirements of the seven (ACGME) Core Competencies and helps you successfully transition to practice by preparing for the business side of medicine (over $500 value).
- Free online CME learning modules to advance clinical and professional competencies including self-assessment and performance in practice modules (over $500 value).
- Try the APA Learning Center free with the Members' Course of the Month. Each month members have free access to an on-demand CME course on a popular topic.
- Self-Assessment and PIP activities completed through the APA Learning Center are automatically reported to APBN for members and are not subject to audit.
- Registration discount to The Mental Health Services Conference (formerly IPS).
- Registration discount to APA Annual Meeting ($70 value) – earn up to 50 AMA PRA Category 1 credits™
- A Resident and Early Career Leadership Track to help you with the non-clinical aspects of your career development.
- Resident and medical student poster competition provides opportunities to share your research projects and practice experiments at the Annual Meeting.
- MindGames is APA's national residency team competition that challenges residents on patient care and medical knowledge.
Resources for Transitioning to Practice
- Practice Management Help Line, Coding Services, and Practice Guidelines
- Practice Management for Psychiatrists: The Basics
- Find a Psychiatrist database that helps patients find you. To participate, you must opt-in here.
- Legal Consultation – money–saving legal consultation with APA's Legal Information and Consultation Plan (separate fee required)
Networking & Career Development
- Member Directory
- APA JobCentral: Online career search & recruitment
- Opportunities to join the Editorial Board of AJP – Residents' Journal, a forum for psychiatry residents and fellows to share ideas and experiences with colleagues.
- Access to travel awards, fellowships, scholarships, and other research funding opportunities.
- Join an APA Caucus
- Join APA's Members-Only LinkedIn Group
Members-only Malpractice Insurance
- The APA Members-only Malpractice Insurance Program, administered by American Professional Agency, Inc. ("APA, Inc."), is a medical malpractice program designed to meet the needs of mental health professionals, specifically psychiatrists. APA, Inc. has been insuring psychiatrists for over 30 years and offers members risk management consultation services staffed by experienced professionals. They provide additional discounts and benefits to APA members including AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ courses, which are valued at $120. Each course also qualifies for one-hour credit towards the three hours required to receive a risk management discount of 5% off your professional liability policy.
- For additional information regarding insurance rates and coverage, please visit/contact:
American Professional Agency, Inc.
95 Broadway / Amityville, N.Y. 11701
877-740-1777 / Fax: 631-598-7249
In today's world, it's more important than ever to make sure you and your family have the insurance coverage you need. As part of your APA member benefits, you have access to exclusive coverage on pet, long term care, and more!
APA's member benefit for payment processing is with Heartland. With Heartland you can grow your practice with smart, easy-to-use solutions. This payment processing service offers fast, secure, and simple payment solutions through industry-compliant point of sale (POS) and terminal products; wired, wireless, mobile, and Internet-based payment solutions. This U.S. based merchant offers support 24 hours a day, seven days a week, as well as fraud prevention and data security tools. Heartland accepts all major payment types including debit, credit, and chip cards, along with mobile wallets.
Call them at 800-613-0148 to get started or visit our affinity website for more information.
Travel Savings Center*
Taking your hard-earned vacation is easy with so many discounts on travel. With your exclusive APA membership, you can save on car rentals, hotels, trips, and more!
- Car Rentals
- Hotel Discounts
- Group Travel
- Additional Discounts
As a member of APA, your exclusive savings go beyond travel and insurance. We've partnered with a variety of companies to provide you with discounts on goods and services.
- Office Depot/OfficeMax
- Prescription Savings Card
- Constant Contact Email Marketing
- Earnest Student Loan Refinancing
To help members who are having trouble acquiring PPE, APA has collaborated with Project N95 to purchase the following items at bulk pricing rates. There are no minimum order quantities.
- N95 Respirators (Certified by CDC and NIOSH)
- KN95 Masks
- Nitrile Powder Free Gloves
- Level 1 and Level 2 AAMI Isolation Gowns
- ASTM Level 1 and Level 3 Surgical Masks
- Hard Surface Disinfectant
- Disposable Face Shields
*In making these discounts available to its members, APA does not endorse any vendor and it has not investigated the quality of products or services offered.
If you have any questions, please contact the Project N95 support team via email at [email protected] for a response within one business days or less. You may also call us at (205) 528-3060, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday–Friday.