The Council on Healthcare Systems and Financing works to foster parity and nondiscriminatory mental health coverage by monitoring and participating in activities generated through state and federal agencies, private insurance carriers, and the business community at large. The council advocates for adequate funding and reimbursement for psychiatric and other mental health services and works to foster integration of psychiatric and mental health services with the delivery of primary care services.
Highlights of Responsibilities
- Monitor and evaluate emerging trends in health care delivery and financing, including trends in both the public and private sector.
- Work closely with APA and its components in proposing changes or modifications in public and private policy affecting access, funding, and quality of psychiatric and mental health services nationally and regionally.
- Collaborate with other APA components involved in carrying out effective educational programs in the area of health care delivery and finance.
- Disseminate, broadly, information to the membership on developments relating to health care systems and financing through articles in Psychiatric News and other APA publications as well as through programs at the Annual Meeting and at regional meetings, as appropriate.
- Committee on Integrated Care
- Committee on RBRVS, Codes, and Reimbursements
- Committee on Reimbursement for Psychiatric Care
- Committee on Telepsychiatry
- Robert Trestman, M.D., Ph.D. – Chair
- Robert Batterson, M.D. (ASM)
- Mark Bradshaw, M.D.
- Jennie Byrne, M.D.
- Caroline Fisher, M.D.
- Brian Hepburn, M.D.
- Mark Russ, M.D.
- Kathryn Skimming, M.D., M.S. (ECP)
- Thomas Edward Smith, M.D.
- Brad Stein, M.D.
- Laura Halpin, M.D., Ph.D.
- Ole Thienhaus, M.D.
- Nicolas Barcelo, M.D. – SAMHSA Minority Fellow
- Ritika Batajoo, M.D., M.P.H. – Diversity Leadership Fellow
- Ramon Burgos, M.D., M.B.A. – Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellow
- Jacob Kannarkat, M.D. – SAMHSA Minority Fellow
- Dwight Kemp, M.D. – Public Psychiatry Fellow
- Michael Mensah, M.D., M.P.H. – SAMHSA Minority Fellow
- Marquis Peacock, M.D. – SAMHSA Minority Fellow
- Timothy Shea, M.D. – Public Psychiatry Fellow