The Council on Addiction Psychiatry provides psychiatric leadership in the growing field of prevention and treatment of addictive disorders. The council works to develop and clarify the role of the psychiatrist in the prevention and treatment of addictive disorders and formulates policy recommendations related to these disorders. The council cooperates with other APA bodies to enhance the quality of medical education in addictive disorders at all levels.
Highlights of Responsibilities
- Consider important developments in basic knowledge, treatment, methodology, treatment systems, and related matters in the field of addictive disorders and dissemination of that knowledge
- In cooperation with other appropriate APA components, enhance the quality and quantity of medical education in addictive disorders at all educational levels, including undergraduate, residency, fellowship, and continuing medical education
- Provide additional liaison to medical, educational, consumer-interest, and governmental organizations interested in alcohol and other drug problems
- Collaborate with other councils and components of APA on common issues related to the role of psychiatry in addictive disorders; for example, to improve the quality of care and risk management for people with addictive disorders, to foster adequate research efforts and funding, and to foster adequate reimbursement for treatment
- Liaison with the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry (AAAP) to address mutual interests and priorities and advance shared goals
- Smita Das, M.D., Ph.D., M.P.H. – Chair
- Patrick Aquino, M.D. (ASM)
- Derek Blevins, M.D.
- Jeffrey DeVido, M.D.
- Robert Feder, M.D.
- Lief Fenno, M.D.
- Shelly Greenfield, M.D., M.P.H.
- Jeremy Kidd, M.D.
- Robert Kleinman, M.D. (ECP)
- Jill Williams, M.D.
- Tauheed Zaman, M.D.
- John Renner, M.D. – AAAP
- Alena Balasnova, M.D.
- John Fromson, M.D.
- Matthew Goldenberg, M.D.
- J. Venkata "Amba" Jonnalagada
- Sharon Packer, M.D.
- Ahmed Saeed, M.D.
- Catherine Castro, M.D. – SAMHSA Substance Abuse Fellow
- David Cho, M.D. – Public Psychiatry Fellow
- Michael Chung, M.D. – Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Fellow
- William Coe, M.D. – Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Fellow
- Rajat Duggirala, M.D. – SAMHSA Substance Abuse Fellow
- Donald Egan, M.D. – Diversity Leadership Fellow
- Marcus Hughes, M.D. – Diversity Leadership Fellow
- Erik Quan – SAMHSA Substance Abuse Fellow
- Nancy Shenoi, M.D. – Public Psychiatry Fellow
- Chenghui Su, M.D. – Diversity Leadership Fellow
- Keenan Withers, M.D. – SAMHSA Substance Abuse Fellow