MOC Part 2: Lifelong Learning (CME) Self-Assessment
Physicians who were board certified in 2012 or later are required to complete a total of 90 CME credits every three years, averaging 30 credits per year. CME must be relevant to the specialties in which the psychiatrist practices.
ABPN accepts three types of CME credit:
- Category 1 CME accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME)
- Category 1A CME accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
- Category 1 CME accredited by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
Psychiatrists certified in more than one area only need to accrue the stated average of 30 CME credits per year. CME credits can be used to satisfy requirements for multiple specialties and subspecialties. Psychiatrists must complete the following to fulfill the CME requirement from ABPN:
- If your last recertification was before 2012: You will need to earn a total of 300 CME credits before you apply for the recertification exam.
- If your last recertification was in 2012 or after: You must earn a total of 90 CME credits every three years (an average of 30 CME credits per year) before you apply for the recertification exam.
You may waive 8 CME credits for a peer reviewed grant or paper, peer supervision or peer review up to a maximum of 16 hours.
View ABPN's latest 10 year MOC chart and C-MOC Chart for psychiatrists.
Board certified physicians of the ABPN must also complete self-assessment (SA). SA activities must cover new knowledge and/or current best practices in one or more of the competency areas:
- Patient Care
- Practice-Based Learning and Improvement
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills
- Professionalism and Systems Based Practices
- Medical Knowledge
These activities are most often self-study tests which can highlight areas where the psychiatrist needs more knowledge. SA activities are typically a self-administered quiz which includes the correct answer, a rationale, recommended literature resources for each question, and peer comparison that can be used by the physician as the basis for focused CME, or career development.
- If your last recertification was before 2012: You must earn a total of 24 ABPN approved SA credits from a combination of approved ABPN activities before you apply for the recertification exam.
- If your last recertification was in 2012 or after: You must earn a total of 24 ABPN approved self-assessment activities credits over every period of three years (an average of 8 credits per year) before you apply for the recertification exam.
- ABPN has provided several additional ways to waive SA requirements. View the Non-CME SA Explanation of Requirements.
- Beginning in 2016, psychiatrists certified or recertified will be required to complete an approved Patient Safety Course either prior to board certification or in the first Continuous-MOC cycle. The APA Patient Safety Course is available in the APA Learning Center.
The CME earned from SA activities counts toward the total CME credits needed per year.
How APA Can Help You With MOC Part 2 SA Requirements
APA offers several self-assessment activities that are ABPN-approved for MOC:
- Online courses at APA Learning Center. APA Members and RFMs get the best price on these activities, and can access many of these at no cost.
- Attending the APA Annual Meeting provides you up to 40 AMA PRA Category 1 credits™ and IPS: The Mental Health Services Conference provides up to 30 AMA PRA Category 1 credits™. Self-assessment activities will be offered as part of the meeting. Please review the program book for more information.
- Focus Self-Assessment, available annually with a subscription to Focus: The Journal of Lifelong Learning in Psychiatry; the best resource for MOC. Physicians can earn up to 44 AMA PRA Category 1 credits&trade including 24 ABPN approved MOC Part 2 self-assessment credits, and access to 6 PIP modules. View more information and how to subscribe.
- Focus MOC Workbooks (MDD and PTSD) provide physicians and physician assistants with an opportunity to earn up to 12 AMA PRA Category 1 credits&trade (self-assessment) approved by ABPN for MOC Part 2 as well as access to a ABPN approved PIP Clinical Module to fulfill MOC Part 4.
- Participation in Applying the Integrated Care Approach: Learning Collaborative will satisfy eight MOC-2 non-CME self-assessment credits for peer review.