Medical students enrolled in a school of medicine, in the U.S. or internationally, including osteopathic medicine are eligible to join the APA as a Medical Student Member.
Discover your career in psychiatry. Learn more about psychiatry through a complimentary membership to the APA. Even if psychiatry is not your chosen specialty, mental health issues correlate to many other areas of practice. As a medical student member, you can start building lifelong professional relationships and tap into APA’s wealth of research and practical information.
Individuals from countries against which the United States Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control has issued comprehensive sanctions (including Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria and the Crimea Region of Ukraine) are eligible to receive information and informational materials only, as allowed by the exemptions within the relevant OFAC sanctions programs. For questions, please contact [email protected].
Free Membership for Medical Students
Medical student members are dues exempt and belong to APA at the national level only (there are no dual membership requirements with the local District Branch/State Association).
Benefits and Services
Publications & Journals
- Receive the latest news in your field. Free online subscriptions to American Journal of Psychiatry and Psychiatric News, with articles on cutting-edge research and updating you on developments through the field ($327 value).
- 20% discount to over 700 books and special member pricing for journals and subscriptions through APA Publishing.
- Save on registration to the APA Annual Meeting, the largest psychiatric meeting, and The Mental Health Services Conference (formerly IPS)
- Resident and medical student poster competition provides opportunities to share your research projects and practice experiments at the Annual Meeting.
- Access to online directory of summer jobs and fellowship opportunities.
- Networking and professional development opportunities through APA's social media presence on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter and through special APA listservs.
- Mentoring networks and career development sessions at the Annual Meeting.
- Online resources including What is Psychiatry?, Guide for Applying for Psychiatry Residency, Building a Career in Psychiatry, and Resident’s Guide to Surviving Training.
- Join Psychiatry Student Interest Group Network (PsychSign)
Discounts & Services
In today's world, it's more important than ever to make sure you and your family have the insurance coverage you need. As part of your APA member benefits, you have access to exclusive coverage on pet, long term care, and more!
APA has collaborated with Project N95 to help provide members with equitable access to affordable, authentic respiratory protection, Masks, and health products through education, advocacy and distribution of vetted goods and services.
Travel Savings Center*
Taking your hard-earned vacation is easy with so many discounts on travel. With your exclusive APA membership, you can save on car rentals, hotels, trips, and more!
- Car Rentals
- Hotel Discounts
- Group Travel
- Additional Discounts
Goods and Services*
As a member of APA, your exclusive savings go beyond travel and insurance. We've partnered with a variety of companies to provide you with discounts on goods and services.
- Office Depot/OfficeMax
- Prescription Savings Card
- Constant Contact Email Marketing
*In making these discounts available to its members, APA does not endorse any vendor and it has not investigated the quality of products or services offered.