- Inpatient Settings
- Robert L. Caudill, M.D.
- Telepsychiatry potentially harmonizes the geographical distribution of psychiatrists and psychiatric patients in both inpatient and outpatient settings.
- Unfortunately, the development of inpatient Telepsychiatry programs has lagged behind that of outpatient programs.
- The inadequacy of reimbursement structures for this service has been a major impediment.
- Projected staffing realities will likely ultimately dictate more widespread adoption of this potentially valuable intervention modality.
- Grady, B., and Singleton, M. (2011). Telepsychiatry “coverage” to a rural inpatient psychiatric unit. Telemedicine and e-Health, 17(8), 603-608.
- Mielonen, M. L., Ohinmaa, A., Moring, J., & Isohanni, M. (2000). Psychiatric inpatient care planning via telemedicine. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare,6(3), 152-157.