Consultation-liaison psychiatry, also known as psychosomatic medicine, is an exciting subspecialty of psychiatry that focuses on the care of patients with comorbid psychiatric and general medical conditions. Consultation-liaison psychiatry deals with the understanding and advancement of medical science, education, and the provision of healthcare for medically ill patients.
[NEW] APA and The Academy for Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry recently hosted a webinar, "Applying to C-L Psychiatry Fellowships in 2022: A Virtual Q&A" View the webinar here
Explore a Career in Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry:
Consultation-liaison psychiatry sub-specialty training is a one-year fellowship recognized by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. Fellowship training in consultation-liaison psychiatry is ideal for trainees who enjoy both the art of psychiatry and the rigor of general medicine. ABPN provides information on certification requirements including training, content, costs, and exam dates.
Understanding the Breadth and Depth of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry
This Psych News series uses a case-based approach to review the wide range of roles consultation-liaison psychiatrists have throughout health care. Click the links below to learn how a consultation-liaison psychiatrist works and interacts with the various medical specialties and health systems to help patients.
- Social Justice in Medical-Surgical Settings (20 May 2022)
- Implicit Racial Bias (25 Apr 2022)
- Excited Delirium and Ketamine (23 Dec 2021)
- Lessons Learned from HIV and COVID-19 Pandemics (29 Nov 2021)
- Collaborative Care For Racial/Ethnic Minority Patients (25 Oct 2021)
- Long COVID and Team-Based Care (17 Sep 2021)
- SUD in Medical Populations (25 Feb 2021)
- Eating Disorders (1 Dec 2020)
- Assessing Suicide (2 Sep 2020)
- C-L Psychiatry Before, After Bariatric Surgery (15 Jul 2020)
- Assessing and Managing Delirium (19 Mar 2020)
- Complex Psychopharmacology in Medically Ill Patients (5 Mar 2020)
- Decisional Capacity Assessment (4 Feb 2020)
- Pediatric Psychiatry (18 Jul 2019)
- Integrated Care (5 Apr 2019)
- Traumatic Brain Injury and Neuropsychiatry (28 Feb 2019)
- Psycho-Oncology (1 Feb 2019)
- Perinatal Psychiatry (18 Jan 2019)
- Cardiac Psychiatry (4 Dec 2018)
- HIV/AIDS Psychiatry (21 Sep 2018)
- Transplant Psychiatry (10 Aug 2018)
- From Psychosomatic Medicine to Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry (27 Apr 2018)
Try a Rotation in Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry
Medical students who do a rotation in consultation-liaison psychiatry can learn about different psychiatric manifestations of medical illness and their treatments and about care for medically ill patients who have psychiatric disorders.
For information about how to do a rotation in consultation-liaison psychiatry, contact the education coordinator in your psychiatry department.
Consultation-Liaison Resources for Psychiatry Residents
The Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry (ACLP) has collected resources for psychiatry residents interested in consultation-liaison psychiatry, including fellowship opportunities, educational resources and awards. View their resources here.
[NEW] APA and The Academy for Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry recently hosted a webinar, "Applying to C-L Psychiatry Fellowships in 2022: A Virtual Q&A" View the webinar here or watch below:
The Council on Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry focuses on policies and resources for the psychiatric care of persons who are medically ill and thus stands at the interface of psychiatry with other medical specialties.