- Receive $100,000 ($85,000 stipend, $10,000 housing allowance, $5,000 towards health insurance) and moving expenses (up to $3,500) to and from Washington, D.C.
- Opportunity to work on Capitol Hill for 10 months in a federal office (congressional or senate)
- Attend two APA meetings:
- APA Annual Meeting
- APA September Component Meetings (including attendance at the Fellowship Forum)
- Gain a key understanding of how policy affects the practice of medicine, patient care, education and health insurance issues.
- Interact with health policymakers and advocacy/professional groups.
- Gain an understanding of APA Governance through service on an APA Council, Committee or APAF initiative.
- Maintain APA membership
- Participate in the Fellowship Forum during the APA September Components Meeting
- Schedule mid-year and year-end evaluations with Fellowship Manager
- Sit on Spurlock Fellow Selection Committee post-fellowship
Number of Awards
2 per year, pending funding
August 1, 2023 – June 30, 2024 (10 months)
Criteria / Eligibility
- APA member
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Psychiatry resident, fellow or early career psychiatrist
- Interest in involvement with the Council on Advocacy and Government Relations
You may apply for as many APA/APAF Fellowships during an application cycle based on your eligibility. However, participation in more than one APA fellowship simultaneously is not permitted.
Nomination / Application Details
- Complete online application form
- Curriculum vitae including any relevant political experience or leadership positions
- One-page personal statement explaining how the fellowship will positively impact the applicant's career and better facilitate continued involvement in relevant APA advocacy initiatives.
- Three letters of recommendation:
- One letter must come from:
- Resident applicant: a letter from the department chairperson or training direct or
- Early career psychiatrist applicant: a letter from their District Branch(DB) President or Executive Director noting the applicant's contributions to the DB
- Two letters of recommendation from psychiatrists
February 3, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. (Hawaii-Aleutian Standard Time)
American Psychiatric Association Foundation
c/o Fellowships Team
Email: [email protected]