- Attend a minimum of four APA meetings:
- Two APA Annual Meetings
- Two APA September Component Meetings (including attendance at the Fellowship Forum)
- Develop leadership skills in the field of psychiatry and advance understanding of the life experiences of racial ethnic minority communities
- Gain an understanding of APA/APAF Governance through service on an APA Council, Committee, or APAF initiative
- Have the opportunity to sit on the APA Board of Trustees or APAF Board of Directors as a non-voting member (one SAMHSA or Diversity Leadership fellow allowed)
- Cultivate a professional network with psychiatrists interested in minority mental health and services through exclusive events and engagements with APA leaders. Establish relationships and peer-mentorship with a diverse group of resident fellows with similar career interests and goals
- Maintain APA membership and good standing in one's residency program throughout the fellowship
- Attend two consecutive APA Annual Meetings, the APA September Components Meetings, and all fellowship related activities
- Participate in the Fellowship Forum during the APA September Components Meeting
- Participate on an assigned APA Council, Committee, or APAF work group where organizational decisions are made and gain an understanding of APA/APAF Governance
- Participate in Fellowship teleconferences (a minimum of 50%)
- Participate in mid-year and year-end evaluations with Fellowship Program Manager.
- Contribute items for APA/APAF publications or the All Fellows' e-Newsletter.
Number of Awards
Up to 25 per year, pending funding
July 1, 2023 – June 30, 2025 (Two consecutive years)
Criteria / Eligibility
- Be an APA member
- At least a PGY-2 in an accredited U.S. or Canadian psychiatry residency program with two remaining years of training.
- Open to non-U.S. citizens, non-US residents, and graduates of international medical colleges.
- Members of underrepresented populations are strongly encouraged to apply, but all applicants are welcome to apply regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability.
You can apply for as many APA/APAF Fellowships during an application cycle based on your eligibility. However, participation in more than one APA fellowship simultaneously is not permitted.
The selection committee will be looking for the following competencies in applicants:
- Excellence of the candidate's CV (leadership, creativity, clinical skills, extra-curricular activities, publications/presentations)
- Strong letters of recommendation (training director's evaluation, other references)
- Compelling personal statement
Nomination / Application Details
- Completed online application form.
- Curriculum vitae
- One-page personal statement explaining how the fellowship will impact the applicant's career
- The personal statement should address the following:
- Your motivation for applying for the fellowship
- Your leadership experiences
- Your lived experience including any adversity you may have overcome
- Three letters of recommendation from psychiatrists, including one letter from Training Director addressing trainee's contribution to minority and underserved populations
February 3, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. (Hawaii-Aleutian Standard Time)
American Psychiatric Association Foundation
c/o Fellowships Team
Email: [email protected]