The APA BOT Structural Racism Accountability Committee (SRAC) was formed in 2021 to ensure the recommendations of the 2020-2021 APA Presidential Task Force to Address Structural Racism Throughout Psychiatry (TFSR) are carried out.
APA’s Board of Trustees (BOT) approved 18 actions recommended by the TFSR along with six directives on issues that need to be updated and monitored by the SRAC. The SRAC will evaluate their success, make recommendations for improvements, and accomplish the other objectives that were noted in the final task force report (.pdf).
Charge of the SRAC
On May 17, 2021, The Board of Trustees voted to establish a Board Committee to continue the work of the Task Force on Structural Racism. The committee will consist of Board members that will be initially responsible for ensuring that the Task Force recommendations are carried out, evaluate their success, make recommendations for improvements, and accomplish the other objectives listed at the end of the attached document.
The Committee will report to the Board at each Board meeting and have the ability to reach out to other members who have expertise in the area or consultants as needed to accomplish the objectives.
The Committee’s tasks may expand as the stated objectives are accomplished. The committee is comprised of Board members who can commit the time needed to do the work well and includes members who were not involved in the Task Force or on the Ad Hoc Work Group on Governance so that the entire Board is deeply invested in the projects.
- Mary Hasbah Roessel, M.D.
- Felix Torres, M.D., M.B.A.
- Elie G. Aoun, M.D., M.R.O.
- Ken Certa, M.D.
- Jeffrey Geller, M.D., M.P.H.
- Glenn A. Martin, M.D.
- Urooj Yazdani, M.D.
- Mindy L. Young, M.D.
- Altha J. Stewart, M.D.
Action Progress Dashboard
September 2022 - Action Progress Dashboard (.pdf) This document tracks the progress of the Board of Trustees approved actions, as of September 2022.
SRAC Report to the Board of Trustees, March 12, 2022 (.pdf) This document is the SRAC’s report to APA’s Board of Trustees, detailing its work as of March 2022.
SRAC Report to the Board of Trustees, December 11, 2021 (.pdf) This document is the SRAC’s report to APA’s Board of Trustees, detailing its work as of December 2021.
SRAC Report to the Board of Trustees, October 16, 2021 (.pdf) This document is the SRAC’s report to APA’s Board of Trustees, detailing its work as of October 2021.
- October 2021 Reporting for Incidents of Racism within the APA (Member Login Required) APA/APAF Fellows created an online form for APA members and employees to report incidents of racism or discrimination that they witnessed or were subjected to during an APA event or on APA property. APA will report these events quarterly; reports will not mention names or identifying information, but APA will use the information to create educational materials on racism, discrimination, anti-racism, and professionalism. Access the online reporting form (members login required).
- October 2021 Online Resources on Structural Racism in Psychiatry for Medical Students & Trainees in Psychiatry Drs. Badr Ratnakaran, (APA/APAF Leadership Fellow), Dhruv Gupta, (APA/APAF Diversity Leadership Fellow), Weei LoAllen, (APA/APAF Public Psychiatry Fellow), and Charles Dike (Member, APA Task Force on Structural Racism Throughout Psychiatry) compiled a list of online resources as an introduction to understanding structural racism in psychiatry. To access the Primer, visit the SRTF page and expand the section titled “Online Resources for Medical Students and Trainees."
- June 2021 Indigenous Peoples Psychiatric News Article Series A workgroup of APA’s Task Force on Structural Racism Throughout Psychiatry started an article series in Psychiatric News detailing the impact of structural racism on Indigenous Peoples. The first article of the series, titled “COVID-19 and Native Americans, Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, Pacific Islanders: A Historical Perspective." This is an ongoing series of four articles.
Psychiatric News Articles
- Board Acts on Busy Agenda (Sept. 17, 2021) Includes news about the formation of the formation of the Structural Racism Accountability Committee.
- COVID-19 and Native Americans, Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, Pacific Islanders: A Historical Perspective (June 24, 2021) Part of the Indigenous Peoples Psychiatric News article series.