American Professional Agency is the APA's endorsed medical liability insurance provider and created the following courses for members, which are valued at $120. Each course qualifies for one-hour credit towards the three hours required to receive a risk management discount of 5% off your professional liability policy*.
Courses Available to APA Members
Each course is available through the APA Learning Center by clicking on the title below.
- Risk Management Considerations with Supervisory, Collaborative and Consultative Relationships
- How Mitigating Risk Can Help You
- Life After Residency- Starting a Practice and Insurance Considerations
- Managing Outpatient Risk From Routine Care to High-Risk Patients
- Telepsychiatry and Risk Management Considerations
- Risk Considerations With Depositions, Subpoenas and Court Orders
- Mitigating Risk When Using Social Media & Technology in Psychiatry
- Mitigating Risk When Practicing Addiction Psychiatry
- Documentation with a Jury in Mind
Highlights of the New Provisions in the Policy
Psychiatrists must be members of the APA and their District Branch to purchase a policy from APA, Inc. Through this established relationship, we aim to achieve the greatest financial protections for our members. The following highlights some of the new provisions in the policy and we encourage you to visit AmericanProfessional.com or call (877) 740-1777 for more information.
- The coverage limit for punitive damages has been increased from $25,000 to $250,000
- There is no consent to settle (hammer) clause in the policy
- Broad coverage is included for procedures, tests, and consultations where Neurology and Psychiatry cross
- Licensing board defense coverage will increase from $5,000 to $50,000 per complaint. Other carriers offer only a single limit for all complaints during the policy period.
- Defense will be provided for the entire lawsuit even if only one claim or allegation triggers coverage
- A part-time policy is now offered that addressed academic or institutional situations, including moonlighting residents
- Policy holders will not be penalized with a premium surcharge for filing a first time claim, which can result in a 50%+ increase in premiums compared to other carriers
- Loss of income limits have been increase from $250 to $1000 per day while an insured participates in defense of claim
- Interest Free quarterly payments are available as well as payment through a credit card
- New policy holders receive a 10% premium discount
- New doctors who begin practicing receive a 50% premium discount in the first year, 35% in the second and 25% during the third year
- Medical payments to patients injured on your premises will increase from $25,000 to $100,000
*Excluding New York policyholders. If you are insured in New York, contact your risk management professional about courses eligible for discount).
Coverage is only offered through American Professional Agency, Inc. The policy enhancements described above have been submitted for (but have not yet received) regulatory approvals. Coverage will be underwritten by an insurance subsidiary of Allied World Assurance Company Holdings, AG. Such subsidiaries currently carry an A.M. Best rating of "A (Excellent)." Actual coverage may vary and is subject to policy language as issued.