A flexible and interactive training opportunity where residents and fellows can gain a strong fund of knowledge in leadership. This program offers the tools and strategies essential to successfully lead in diverse environments. It provides online courses and lectures, combined with quarterly interactive sessions that facilitate engagement and networking of trainees with leaders of the field of psychiatry.
The pilot phase of the program will be offered to APA/APAF SAMHSA Minority Fellowship Program awardees.
The program was conceived and developed by the Division of Diversity and Health Equity and implemented in partnership with the Division of Education. Five new courses were developed and are available to trainees.
The program was officially launched in November 2021.
- Pre-Curriculum Assessment
- Core courses (10)
- Elective courses (10)
- Compliment learning opportunities for live/in-person events
- Post-Curriculum Assessment
- Certificate of Completion
- CMEs Obtaining
APA Learning Center is a one-stop-shop site where learners will enroll and complete the program from start to finish. APA Learning Center offers self-paced interactive e-learning modules with access to webinars, live sessions, and in-person training for a hybrid model.
Learners will have up to 12-month to complete the program with additional access after the program ended to continue to review materials. The program consists of 20 hours. However, the program is self-paced.
Each learner will be required to take the following 10 core courses:
- Physician Leadership (4)
- Structural and Institutional Racism in Mental Health*
- Applying a Racial Equity Lens*
- Social Determinants of Health*
- Cultural Competence*
- Mentorship and Networking*
- Life After Residency
In addition, there are more than 53 courses for learners to select 10 elective courses based on their needs per following themes:
- Identity and Systemic Inequality in Mental Health
- Racism, Justice, Triggers and Biases
- Communication Skills
- Organizational Management and Administration
- Community Health
- Policy & Advocacy
- Technology & Digital Mental Health
- Research & Publication
- Strategic Business Management and Development
*Courses were newly developed
The APA/APAF SAMHSA Minority Fellowship Program awardees can access the program at no cost.