Current APA Position Statements can be searched for and found in our Policy Finder.
American Psychiatric Association (APA) Position Statements about TGNC Individuals (2017)
It is the position of APA that some transgender individuals can benefit greatly from medical and surgical treatments and that psychiatrists should advocate to remove barriers to care for TGNC patients. Additionally, APA is dedicated to opposing laws that discriminate against TGNC individuals and supporting laws that protect the civil rights (e.g., health care, housing, employment, public accommodations) of TGNC individuals.
- American Psychiatric Association. (2016). Resource document on the assessment and treatment of gender dysphoria and gender variant patients.
- American Psychiatric Association. (2018). Position statement on access to care for transgender and gender diverse individuals.
- American Psychiatric Association. (2018). Position statement on discrimination against transgender and gender diverse individuals.
- American Psychiatric Association. (2015). Position statement on bias-related incidents.
- American Psychiatric Association. (2015). Position statement on need to train psychiatrists in the provision of care and support to individuals with disorders of sex development and their families .
- Drescher J. (2010). Queer diagnoses: parallels and contrasts in the history of homosexuality, gender variance, and the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual. Arch Sex Behav. 39:427-460.
- Herman JL, Flores AR, Brown TN, Wilson BD, and Conron KJ. (2017). Age of Individuals Who Identify as Transgender in The United States. The Williams Institute. Available at https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/TransAgeReport.pdf. Accessed October 16, 2017.
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health. (2011). Standards of care for the health of transsexual, transgender, and gender nonconforming people, version 7. Available at https://s3.amazonaws.com/amo_hub_content/Association140/files/
Standards%20of%20Care%20V7%20-%202011%20WPATH%20(2)(1).pdf. Accessed November 30, 2016.