International Resident-Fellow Members (IRFMs) are physicians who have been accepted into a psychiatric training program outside of the United States and Canada. International Resident-Fellow Members gain access to multiple opportunities to enhance their professional growth as part of a global community of psychiatric physicians at the forefront of advancements in psychiatry and medicine.
Individuals from countries against which the United States Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control has issued comprehensive sanctions (including Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria and the Crimea Region of Ukraine) are eligible to receive information and informational materials only, as allowed by the exemptions within the relevant OFAC sanctions programs. For questions, please contact [email protected].
Download Reinstatement Form (.pdf)
Benefits and Services
Journals & Publications
- Free online subscription to the American Journal of Psychiatry ($327 value) and the Residents' Journal, a forum for psychiatric trainees to share ideas and experiences in training, clinical practice, research, and careers with colleagues.
- Free online subscription to, American Journal of Psychotherapy , APA's peer-reviewed, interdisciplinary journal published quarterly ($225 value)
- Free online subscription to Psychiatric Services ($159 value), APA's monthly journal focusing on the delivery of behavioral health services in organized systems.
- Free online subscription to Psychiatric News, a bimonthly news service with articles on cutting-edge research and developments in the field of psychiatry, and the Psychiatric News Residents' Forum.
- Discount subscription to Focus: The Journal of Lifelong Learning in Psychiatry ($267 value).
- A 25% discount to over 700 books and special member pricing for journals and subscriptions through APA Publishing, including board prep materials.
The Supplemental Education and Training (SET) program is a free online experience designed to help you build knowledge around psychiatry core competencies and learn about the business of medicine.
- Save on registration to the APA Annual Meeting, the largest psychiatric meeting, and The Mental Health Services Conference (formerly IPS)
- Access to resident oriented tracks and socializing events at the Annual Meeting.
- Resident and medical student poster competition provides opportunities to share your research projects and practice experiments at the Annual Meeting.
- Building a Career in Psychiatry: a guide on important non-clinical topics that are infrequently included in undergraduate or graduate medical curricula (coming soon).
- Surviving Psychiatric Residency Training, 3rd Edition – Written by psychiatric residents, for psychiatric residents, this recently updated and indispensable guide covers more than 40 topics, from tips to advocating and negotiating for yourself to a roadmap for your admission and progress notes and dealing with managed care in the outpatient setting.
- Online career search and recruitment through APA JobCentral.
- Mentoring networks and career development sessions at the Annual Meeting.
- Access to the online international and U.S. membership directory.
- Inclusion and access to online Membership Directory.
- Networking and professional development opportunities through APA's social media presence on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter and through special APA listservs.
- Privileged access to "members only" content on the APA website.
- Strong advocacy on the international level on issues affecting patients and psychiatrists around the world.
APA Dues Rates for International RFM Members
International Resident-Fellow Member annual dues are based on the income group category of your country of residence as defined by the World Bank.
Dues Amount per World Bank Income Group
- High Income
- 2021: $39.00 USD
- 2022: $41.00 USD
- Upper Middle Income
- 2021: $34.00 USD
- 2022: $35.00 USD
- Lower Middle Income
- 2021: $25.00 USD
- 2022: $26.00 USD
- Low Income
- 2021: $10.00 USD
- 2022: $10.00 USD
Automatic Advancement to International Member: International Resident-Fellow Members are automatically advanced to International Member (IM) status upon completion of psychiatry residency training. APA requires that members verify they meet the International Membership requirements by completing the IM Verification Form. (coming soon)
You can pay your dues by phone, at +1-202-559-3900 or toll free at +1-888-35-PSYCH (1-888-357-7924), Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET