General Members are practicing psychiatrists who have completed an acceptable residency training program in psychiatry, and hold either a valid license to practice medicine or an academic, research, or governmental position that does not require licensure.
APA and District Branches (DBs) have a dual general membership requirement. View dues and tax reporting information for DBs.
Benefits and Services
Publications & Journals
- Receive articles on cutting-edge research and the latest developments in your field with free subscriptions to American Journal of Psychiatry and Psychiatric News ($348 value).
- Discounted subscription to Psychiatric Services, APA's monthly journal focusing on the delivery of behavioral health services in organized systems ($43 value), as well as a discounted subscription to Focus: The Journal of Lifelong Learning in Psychiatry ($249 value).
- A 20% discount on over 700 books and special member pricing for journals and subscriptions through APA Publishing.
- Subscriptions to online newsletters: Psychiatric News Update, APA Advocacy Update, Integrated Care Newsletter, and Psychiatric Practice and Managed Care.
- Free online CME learning modules to advance clinical and professional competencies including self-assessment and performance in practice modules (over $500 value).
- Try the APA Learning Center free with the Members' Course of the Month. Each month members have free access to an on-demand CME course on a popular topic.
Save on registration to the APA Annual Meeting, the largest psychiatric meeting, and The Mental Health Services Conference (formerly IPS).
- Free participation in PsychPRO, the APA’s mental health registry. PsychPRO is a CMS 2017 certified Qualified Clinical Data Registry (QCDR) that will help ease MACRA payment reporting requirements, avoid payment penalties and help achieve bonuses, automatically meet MOC Part IV, and ensure psychiatry develops its own quality standards into the future.
- Indispensable practice management tools including Practice Management Help Line, Coding Services, Practice Guidelines and Practice Management for Psychiatrists: The Basics.
- Inclusion in Find a Psychiatrist database that helps patients find you.
- Strong advocacy at the local, state, and national levels on mental health issues including parity, prescribing, and confidentiality. District branch membership focusing on issues specific to your local area.
- Leadership opportunities at APA.
- Join an APA Caucus.
- Mentoring networks and career development sessions at the Annual Meeting.
- Inclusion in the online membership directory.
- Networking and professional development opportunities through APA's social media presence on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter and through special APA listservs.
- Online career search and recruitment through APA JobCentral.
Discounts & Services
APA-endorsed members only malpractice insurance program administered by American Professional Agency, Inc.
Travel Savings Center
Taking your hard-earned vacation is easy with so many great discounts on travel. With your exclusive APA membership, you can save on car rentals, hotels, trips, and more!
- Car Rentals
- Hotel Discounts
- Group Travel
- Additional Discounts
In today's world, it's more important than ever to make sure you and your family have great insurance coverage. As part of your APA member benefits, you have access to exclusive coverage on pet, long term care, and more!
- Auto and Home Insurance Program
- Nationwide Pet Insurance
- Long Term Care Resources
- Long Term Care Global
Good and Services
As a member of APA, your exclusive savings go beyond travel and insurance. We've partnered with some of today's best companies to provide you great discounts on goods and services.
- Office Depot/OfficeMax
- Prescription Savings Card
- Constant Contact Email Marketing
APA National Dues Rates for General Members
The membership year runs from January 1 – December 31. Dues will be prorated based on membership application acceptance date.
Early Career Psychiatrists (ECPs) are General Members of the APA who are within their first seven years after completion of training (ACGME accredited residency/fellowship). Dues are reduced for the first six years of General Membership to ease the financial burdens of early career psychiatrists.
Dues rates will be divided by the corresponding number of months for members on a scheduled payment plan.
- General Member (Year 1)
- $153.00, U.S. Members
- $93.00, Canadian Members
- General Member (Year 2)
- $214.00, U.S. Members
- $130.00, Canadian Members
- General Member (Year 3)
- $275.00, U.S. Members
- $167.00, Canadian Members
- General Member (Year 4)
- $366.00, U.S. Members
- $223.00, Canadian Members
- General Member (Year 5)
- $458.00, U.S. Members
- $278.00, Canadian Members
- General Member (Year 6)
- $549.00, U.S. Members
- $334.00, Canadian Members
- General Member (Year 7+)
- $610.00, U.S. Members
- $371.00, Canadian Members