Why become a Distinguished Fellow?
Excellence, not mere competence, is the hallmark of an APA Distinguished Fellow."
Distinguished Fellowship is awarded to outstanding psychiatrists who have made significant contributions to the psychiatric profession in at least five of the following areas: administration, teaching, scientific and scholarly publications, volunteering in mental health and medical activities of social significance, community involvement, as well as for clinical excellence. Distinguished Fellow is the highest membership honor the APA bestows upon members.
What are the requirements to be nominated for Distinguished Fellow?
- Not less than eight consecutive years as a General Member or Fellow of the APA.
- Initial certification by the American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology, the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada, the American Osteopathic Association or equivalent certifying board has been held at any time.
- Nomination is initiated by your local District Branch.
- Three letters supporting your nomination must be received from current Distinguished Fellows or Distinguished Life Fellows.
The General Member or Fellow should be an outstanding psychiatrist who has made significant contributions in at least five of the areas listed below:
- Initial certification by the American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology, the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada, the American Osteopathic Association or equivalent certifying board.
- Involvement in the work of the district branch, chapter, and state association activities.
- Involvement in other components and activities of APA.
- Involvement in other medical and professional organizations.
- Participation in non-compensated mental health and medical activities of social significance.
- Participation in non-medical, non-income-producing community activities.
- Clinical contributions.
- Administrative contributions.
- Teaching contributions.
- Scientific and scholarly publications.
To be nominated for Distinguished Fellow status, contact your local district branch for information regarding the Distinguished Fellow process.
* Distinguished Fellowship nominations must be submitted by the district branch to APA by July 1.
Learn more about International Distinguished Fellowship.