Candidate for 2024 Early Career Psychiatrist (ECP) Trustee
Dr. Sudhakar Shenoy is an alumnus of St. Joseph's College in Bangalore, India. He earned his medical degree from the Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute and was the valedictorian of his class. He completed his residency in psychiatry and a fellowship in child and adolescent psychiatry at the Southern Illinois University School of Medicine in Springfield, Illinois. He is a diplomate of ABPN with board certifications in both psychiatry and the subspecialty of child/adolescent psychiatry.
Before residency training, Dr. Shenoy participated in research training at Harvard Medical School, Virginia Commonwealth University-Medical College of Virginia, and the National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS) in India.
He is active with many professional organizations and holds leadership roles in the Illinois Psychiatric Society, Illinois Council of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, and the Indo-American Psychiatric Association. He has been elected multiple times into the Leadership Council for both the Illinois Psychiatric Society and the Illinois Council of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, he is currently on the board for both organizations. He is the President-Elect of the Illinois Chapter of the Indo-American Psychiatric Association. For AACAP, he has served on the Advocacy Committee and is currently on the ECP Committee. He is also a member on the APA's Scientific Program Committee.
When Dr. Shenoy was young, a life-threatening accident required him to undergo multiple surgeries. Due to a lack of resources and hospitals in India, it was initially difficult for him to receive medical care. However, this experience and the physicians who treated him with compassion and excellent care inspired him to become a doctor himself. The impact that these doctors had on him continues to be a driving force to provide exceptional care to his patients.
As an International Medical Graduate (IMG), Dr. Shenoy is deeply committed to medically underserved areas (MUAs) and health professional shortage areas (HPSAs). He is a Child and Adult Psychiatrist in Chicago at Clarity Clinic, with an interest in autism and intellectual disabilities. As a clinician, he enjoys the challenges of learning and treating the brain and its complexities. Helping his patients succeed is the most fulfilling part of his work.
He has won numerous awards and has also been featured on TV multiple times. Interestingly, one such TV interview was about his photography talent. He enjoys travel, photography, and tennis. More recently he has been trying out pickleball.
- Graduate, St. Joseph's College, Bangalore, India (2003-2005)
- M.D., Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, India (2005-2011)
- Residency in Psychiatry, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine (2014-2017)
- Fellowship in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine (2017-2019)
Awards and Honors
- 2023 IPS Excellence in Community Service Award for 2022-2023. Illinois Psychiatric Society
- Featured Spotlight- TV Appearance, NBC Chicago, August 2022. When Should IL Students Take a 'Mental Health Day?' Experts Weigh In
- Member of the Year Award for 2021-2022, Illinois Psychiatric Society
- Becoming Dr. Shenoy, Clarity Clinic Spotlight (2021)
- AACAP Award Spotlight Sudhakar Kateel Shenoy, M.D. (2020) JAACAP Connect, 7(3), 22
- AACAP Award Spotlight Sudhakar Kateel Shenoy, M.D. (2020). AACAP News, 51(5), 233
- Member Spotlight- Sudhakar Shenoy, M.D. (2020). Mind Matters, (44)
- The 2019 Systems of Care Special Program Clinical Projects Award, Co-sponsored by SAMHSA's Center for Mental Health Services and AACAP's Committee on Community-based Systems of Care
- Resident Scholar Fellowship Award and Certificate of Excellence, American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Washington D.C. (2019)
- Helen Beiser, M.D. Best Resident Member Award, Illinois Council of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (2018)
- AACAP Educational Outreach Program Travel Grant Award, American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (2018)
- Featured Resident Physician in ASPECTS Winter 2018 Vol 41 No. 1, the official publication of SIU School of Medicine, Springfield, IL. (2018)
- Best Research Proposal Award, SIU School of Medicine (2016)
- Valedictorian, Class of 2011, Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, India (2011)