General Members are practicing psychiatrists who have completed an acceptable residency training program in psychiatry, and hold either a valid license to practice medicine or an academic, research, or governmental position that does not require licensure.
Early Career Psychiatrists (ECPs) are General Members of the APA who are within their first seven years after completion of training (ACGME accredited residency/fellowship). Dues are reduced for the first six years of General Membership to ease the financial burdens of early career psychiatrists.
Benefits and Services
A 20% discount on over 700 books and special member pricing for journals and subscriptions through APA Publishing.
Subscriptions to online newsletters: Psychiatric News Update, APA Advocacy Update, Integrated Care Newsletter, and Psychiatric Practice and Managed Care.
Free online CME learning modules to advance clinical and professional competencies including self-assessment and performance in practice modules (over $500 value).
Try the APA Learning Center free with the Members’ Course of the Month. Each month members have free access to an on-demand CME course on a popular topic.
Indispensible practice management tools including Practice Management Help Line, Coding Services, Practice Guidelines and Practice Management Handbook for Psychiatrists.
Inclusion in Find a Psychiatrist database that helps patients find you.
Services For Your Practice
APA-endorsed members only malpractice insurance program administered by American Professional Agency, Inc.
Significant discounts and services, including:
- legal consultation
- long-term care, auto, home and renters insurance
- magazine subscriptions
- credit cards
- car rentals and travel
- payment processing
- Strong advocacy at the local, state, and national levels on mental health issues including parity, prescribing, and confidentiality. District branch membership focusing on issues specific to your local area.
- Leadership opportunities at APA.
- Mentoring networks and career development sessions at the Annual Meeting.
- Inclusion in online membership directory.
- Networking and professional development opportunities through APA's social media presence on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter and through special APA listservs.
- Online career search and recruitment through APA JobCentral.