MOC Part 2: Lifelong Learning (CME) Self-Assessment
Physicians who were board certified in 2012 or later are required to complete a total of 90 CME credits over three years, averaging 30 credits per year. CME must be relevant to the specialties in which the psychiatrist practices.
ABPN accepts three types of CME credit:
- Category 1 CME accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME)
- Category 1A CME accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
- Category 1 CME accredited by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
Psychiatrists certified in more than one area only need to accrue the stated average of 30 CME credits per year. CME credits can be used to satisfy requirements for multiple specialties and subspecialties. Psychiatrists must complete the following to fulfill the CME requirement from ABPN:
- If your last recertification was before 2012: You will need to earn a total of 300 CME credits before you apply for the recertification exam.
- If your last recertification was in 2012 or after: You must earn a total of 90 CME credits over three years (an average of 30 CME credits per year) before you apply for the recertification exam.
You may waive 8 CME credits for a peer reviewed grant or paper, peer supervision or peer review up to a maximum of 16 hours.
View ABPN's latest 10 year MOC chart and C-MOC Chart for psychiatrists.
Board certified physicians of the ABPN must also complete self-assessments (SA). SA activities must cover new knowledge and/or current best practices in one or more of the competency areas:
- Patient Care
- Practice-Based Learning and Improvement
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills
- Professionalism and Systems Based Practices
- Medical Knowledge
These activities are most often MOC exams which can highlight areas where the psychiatrist needs more knowledge. SA activities are typically a self-administered quiz which includes the correct answer, recommended literature resources for each question, and peer comparison that can be used by the physician as the basis for focused CME, or career development.
- If your last recertification was before 2012: You must earn a total of 24 ABPN approved SA credits from a combination of approved ABPN activities before you apply for the recertification exam.
- If your last recertification was in 2012 or after: You must earn a total of 24 ABPN approved self-assessment activities credits over a period of three years (an average of 8 credits per year) before you apply for the recertification exam.
- ABPN has provided several additional ways to waive SA requirements. View the Non-CME SA Explanation of Requirements.
- Beginning in 2016, psychiatrists certified or recertified will be required to complete an approved Patient Safety Course either prior to board certification or in the first Continuous-MOC cycle. New APA Patient Safety Course coming soon.
The CME earned from SA activities counts toward the total CME credits needed per year.
How APA can help you with MOC Part 2 SA requirements
APA offers several self-assessment activities that are ABPN-approved for MOC:
- Online courses at APA Learning Center. APA Members and RFMs get the best price on these activities, and can access several of them at no cost.
- Attending the APA Annual Meeting provides you up to 50 AMA PRA Category 1 credits™ and IPS: The Mental Health Services Conference provides you up to 27 AMA PRA Category 1 credits™.
- Focus Self-Assessment, available annually with a subscription to FOCUS: The Journal of Lifelong Learning in Psychiatry; physicians can earn up to 44 AMA PRA Category 1 credits including 24 ABPN approved MOC Part 2 self-assessment credits, and access to PIP modules. View more information and how to subscribe.
- FOCUS MOC Workbooks provide physicians with an opportunity to earn up to 12 AMA PRA Category 1 credits and 12 ABPN approved MOC Part 2 SA credits per workbook.
- Understanding the Evidence: Off-Label Use of Atypical Antipsychotics, self-assessment exam and eFocus clinical vignettes at APA Learning Center; physicians can earn up to 25 ABPN approved MOC Category 1 credits. This is a free Self-Assessment program to all.