The American Psychiatric Association is governed by the Board of Trustees. The Bylaws of the Association vest the Board of Trustees with the authority to make policy, to manage the affairs of the Association, and to formulate and implement the policies of the Association. The Board of Trustees is comprised of national and regional officers and trustees elected by the membership.
The Assembly of District Branches is the entity representing the individual members in the affairs of the Association. It is comprised of representatives from the Association’s district branches who are elected by the members of the district branches.
The Joint Reference Committee is a standing committee of the Board of Trustees that acts as a liaison and screening mechanism for the Board, the Assembly, and the Association’s components. It refers issues for study to various components and coordinates their recommendations for further consideration by the Board and the Assembly.
The Components of the Association are the councils, committees, and task forces which report to the councils. These components report to the Joint Reference Committee.
Action Item Tracking System (AITS)
- Use the AITS to track the status of governance actions (including Action Papers, Position Statements) through the Assembly, Joint Reference Committee, and Board of Trustees.
APA Policy Finder
- A searchable database of all current APA position statements as well as policies from governing documents including the Bylaws, Constitution, Operations Manual, and The Principles of Medical Ethics With Annotations Applicable Especially to Psychiatry.
APA Operations Manual
- Association policies and procedures, following the APA Bylaws, are made available to APA members in the APA Operations Manual.
APA Governance Meetings Schedule
- An updated list of APA and American Psychiatric Foundation (APF) meetings.
APA Governance Leadership Orientation
An information portal for APA leadership.
APA Strategic Plan
- APA's Board of Trustees approved the following recommendations of the Ad Hoc Work Group on Strategic Planning at the Board's March 2015 meeting.
APA Disclosure of Interests and Affiliations Policy (2009)
- APA's adopted policy regarding disclosure of interests and affiliations and potential conflicts of interest.