Kenneth B. Ashley, M.D.
Candidate for 2023 Area 2 Trustee
A Message from the Candidate
Kenneth Ashley, M.D. is an Associate Professor of Clinical Psychiatry at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (ISMMS) and an attending psychiatrist in the Division of Consultation-Liaison (C-L) Psychiatry and Psychosomatic Medicine at Mount Sinai Beth Israel Hospital. He is the Director of the Outpatient C-L Psychiatry at Mount Sinai Beth Israel, and the psychiatric liaison to the Mount Sinai Center for Transgender Medicine and Surgery Post-Surgical Gender Affirmation Surgery Service. He also works on the inpatient C-L service.
Dr. Ashley is a Distinguished Life Fellow of the APA and alumni of the APA/NIMH Minority Fellowship. He has been active in the APA at both the local, state, and the national levels. He is the former President of the New York County Psychiatric Society. He is a Co-chair of the New York State Psychiatric Association Committee on Structural Racism. He has been Assembly Representative for 13 years. He is currently a member of the Assembly Executive Committee Workgroup on Social Determinants of Mental Health and a member of the Council on C-L Psychiatry. He is a recent appointment to the APA PAC Board. He is also a member of the APA National Minority Mentors Network, as well as the mentoring programs for New York County Psychiatric Society, AGLP, psychiatry residents, and ISMMS students underrepresented in medicine.
Dr. Ashley is the Past President of the AGLP: The Association of LGBTQ+ Psychiatrist. He is a Senior Fellow of the Group for the Advancement of Psychiatry (GAP) with roles as the Chair of the Social Justice Committee and a member of the LGBT Committee. He is a Fellow of the Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry (ACLP). He is Co-chair of the ACLP Bioethics Special Interest Group and served of ACLP DEI Task Force. He is a former member of the Executive Council of the World Psychiatric Association (WPA) Section on HIV/AIDS.
Dr. Ashley has writes, teaches, and lectures nationally and internationally on mental health issues related to HIV, LGBTQ+, race/ethnicity, and culture/diversity/disparities/health equity.
- Bachelor of Arts in Human Biology, Stanford University
- Doctor of Medicine, Jefferson/Sidney Kimmel Medical College
- Psychiatry Residency, Mount Sinai Beth Israel
- Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry Research Fellowship, Mount Sinai Beth Israel and Bellevue Hospital Center/NYU Medical Center
Awards and Honors
- APA John E. Fryer, M.D. Award (2022)
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Society for Liaison Psychiatry (2019)
- James Paulsen Award, AGLP: Association of LGBTQ Psychiatrists (2017)
- Alpha Omega Visiting Professor, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (2016)
- National Leader in Mental Health Treatment for LGBT Communities, Office of Diversity and Inclusion, Mount Sinai Health System (2015)
- Fellow, Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry (2005)
- Distinguished Fellow, American Psychiatric Association (2004)
- Mary Ann Adler Cohen, M.D.
Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- Jack Drescher, M.D.
Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Columbia University
Adjunct Professor, New York University
- Billy E. Jones M.D., M.S.
Clinical Professor of Psychiatry
Grossman School of Medicine, NYU
- Philip R. Muskin, M.D., M.A.
Professor of Psychiatry & Senior Consultant in C-L @ CUMC
- Milton L. Wainberg, M.D.
Professor of Clinical Psychiatry
Columbia University/New York State Psychiatric Institute