The APA is pleased to announce the creation of the new American Psychiatric Association Resident Recognition Awards. These awards will be presented annually to a psychiatric resident or fellow from each department or institution. Departments are eligible to nominate one APA resident-fellow member who exemplifies one or more APA values.
The award recipients will meet one or more of the following APA values:
- Compassion, as evidenced by exemplary patient care and/or compassion to colleagues and in the workplace
- Leadership in the field of psychiatry as evidenced by holding leadership roles in individual residency programs, at the District Branch level of the APA and/or at the national level
- Community service on the local or national level
- Political action on behalf of their patients, their profession, and/or their community.
- Clinical excellence as evidenced by exemplary patient care.
Every eligible psychiatry resident training program will be encouraged to choose an outstanding trainee and submit their name to the APA. Each institution may select one resident for this award annually. The trainee must be a member of the APA and must be in good standing in their General Psychiatry or Fellowship Program.
Program directors needs to consider all psychiatric trainees (general, CAP, combined, fellows) from the institution and select the best candidate that exemplify the APA values.
Nominations must be postmarked by February 28th and include a copy of the nominee's current curriculum vitae as well as the nomination form. The nomination letter must contain information documenting the candidate's achievement as outlined in the selection criteria above. Only one candidate from each institution/department may be nominated by the recommending institution. Nominees must be APA members.
The deadline for nomination is March 31st and winners will be notified at the end of May. The award certificate will be sent directly to the residency training director.
NOMINATION FORM (Opens PDF file)
Awardees will be notified in May. The certificates will be sent to the Departments soon after so they could be awarded to the resident during graduation. A full list of winners will be published in Psychiatric News.
A complete nomination packet should be submitted to:
Resident Recognition Award
American Psychiatric Association
1000 Wilson Blvd, Suite 1825
Arlington, VA 22209