The American Psychiatric Institute for Research and Education (APIRE) is a division of the American Psychiatric Foundation, a 501(c)(3) subsidiary of the American Psychiatric Association. APIRE was established in 1998 to fulfill the leadership role of the APA in contributing to the scientific base of psychiatric practice and policy. Toward that end, APIRE conducts and supports projects designed to:
- Conduct clinical and health services research to bridge the gap between research and practice, and to inform health policy;
- Enhance educational and research capacities to improve the quality of psychiatric care;
- Foster careers in psychiatric research, focusing on all levels of career development;
- Identify scientific opportunities and stimulate research to refine national and international classifications of mental and behavioral disorders across the life span;
- Inform health policy by providing fellowship and visiting scholar opportunities in a range of areas related to psychiatric research, training, and practice.
Through its activities, APIRE has fostered careers in psychiatric research, conducted clinical and health services research, enhanced the research and education capacities of APA, and sought to inform health policy by providing fellowship opportunities relating to psychiatric research and practice.