The call for applications is now closed. The application process for the 2018 Research Colloquium for Junior Investigators will open in Fall 2017.
This program is presented by APA in conjunction with the Committee on Research Training of the Council on Research. The purpose of the Research Colloquium is to provide guidance, mentorship, and encouragement to young investigators in the early phases of their training. Junior investigators will have an opportunity to obtain feedback about their past, present, and future research work from mentors who are leaders in their field in a small group setting. The researcher can also get guidance as well as general information about career development and grantsmanship. Candidates whose research interests are similar to those listed below are encouraged to apply.
The full-day workshop on May 21, 2017 at the APA Annual Meeting in San Diego, Calif. will focus on the following four research areas:
- Molecular, Translational, and Neuroscience Research
- Clinical Psychobiology
- Treatment from Psychopharmacology and Psychotherapy to Neural Strategies
- Alcohol, Pain, and Drug Abuse Research
- Deadline: December 15, 2016
- Notification of Acceptance: January 31, 2017
A $1,200 stipend will be provided to partially cover travel expenses.
- Psychiatrists who are senior residents, fellows, or junior faculty.
- Participants should be a member of the APA or be eligible to become a member of the APA.
- Must be receiving their training in U.S. or Canada. (International applicants may apply here.)
- Should have interest and potential in developing a research career in the above research areas.
- Investigators conducting minority health and health disparities research in these subject areas are especially encouraged to apply.
- Past participants in the Research Colloquium are not eligible to apply.
- Those with individual federal research awards (e.g., R01, R03 Awards) are not eligible.
- Must be able to attend all Colloquium events:
- at least 1 of 4 Webinars that will be held between February 1, 2017 and April 15, 2017;
- the one-day immersive Colloquium; and
- the APA Early Research Career Breakfast (usually held the Tuesday morning following the Colloquium)
- Be able to present an ongoing research project and/or a research protocol in a small group session and present a poster on the same research study during the poster session.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Completed application form
- Two-page statement describing current and proposed research projects
- One-page abstract of a study in progress or completed. If accepted to attend the Colloquium, participants will be asked to give an oral and poster presentation of their study. (Click on blue text to download abstract form)
- 250-word personal statement by the nominee describing how attendance at the Colloquium will further his/her career goals.
- Sponsor's letter of recommendation, either from the nominee's research mentor or other faculty member, describing the nominee's potential as a researcher and his/her potential to benefit from the colloquium
How to Apply
By Email (Preferred): email@example.com
American Psychiatric Association
Attention: Keila Barber, MHS
1000 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 1825
Arlington, VA 22209
Keila Barber at 703-907-8690 or firstname.lastname@example.org