A series of documents created by the APA’s Office of Healthcare Systems and Financing exploring common practice management issues encountered by psychiatrists.
Members can access these documents here [Member log in required]. If you are unable to download the documents you need, Members may call the HelpLine at 800.343.4671.
We welcome feedback about our Quick Practice Info Guides.
- Medical Necessity, AMA's Definition of
- Continuity of Care
- Guidelines for Psychiatrists in Consultative, Supervisory or Collaborative Relationships with Nonphysician Clinicians
- Criteria for Short-term Treatment of Acute Psychiatric Illness
- Psychotherapy Notes under HIPAA
- Documentation of Psychotherapy by Psychiatrists
- Terminating Patient Relationships [Ending the Physician/Patient Relationship]
- Keeping Patient Records [Retaining & Discarding Psychiatric Records]
- Medicare and Medicaid
- Medicare Advantage
- How To Make Things Right With Medicare
- When Medicare is the Secondary Payer
- Medicare Appeals
- Participating or NonParticipating in Medicare
- Opting Out of Medicare
- Off-Label Use of Drugs Under Medicare Part D
- Medicare Part D Appeals Process
- Pharmacotherapy: Depression
- Pharmacotherapy: Schizophrenia
- Tips on Contracting with Private insurers
- Managed Care Contracting
- Avoiding Common Procedure Coding Problems
- Appealing Treatment/Reimbursement Denials
- Getting Paid
- Unpaid Claims — What to Do about Them
- Conducting an Effective Job or Practice Search
- Marketing Your Practice Effectively
- An Overview of Antitrust Laws Affecting Physicians
- Tips to Protect Your Practice while You Are Away
- Closing Down a practice
Additional Online/Print Resources supported by OHSF
Practice Management for Psychiatrists: The Basics [free online to Members. The e-book is posted both as a single document download and as a chapter-by-chapter download for ease of printing.
Information on Mental Health Parity can be found on the APA website www.psych.org under Managing A Practice or on the APA co-sponsored site www.parityispersonal.org.