A series of documents created by the APA’s Office of Healthcare Systems and Financing exploring common practice management issues encountered by psychiatrists.
Members can access these documents here. If you are unable to download the documents you need, Members may call the HelpLine at 800.343.4671.
We welcome feedback about our Quick Practice Info Guides.
- Medical Necessity, AMA's Definition of
Guidelines for Psychiatrists in Consultative, Supervisory or Collaborative Relationships with Nonphysician Clinicians
- Criteria for Short-term Treatment of Acute Psychiatric Illness
- Psychotherapy Notes under HIPAA
- Documentation of Psychotherapy by Psychiatrists
- Terminating Patient Relationships [Ending the Physician/Patient Relationship]
- Keeping Patient Records [Retaining & Discarding Psychiatric Records]
- Medicare and Medicaid
- Medicare Advantage
- How To Make Things Right With Medicare
- When Medicare is the Secondary Payer
- Medicare Appeals
- Participating or NonParticipating in Medicare
- Opting Out of Medicare
- Off-Label Use of Drugs Under Medicare Part D
- Medicare Part D Appeals Process
- Pharmacotherapy: Depression
- Pharmacotherapy: Schizophrenia
- Tips on Contracting with Private insurers
- Managed Care Contracting
- Avoiding Common Procedure Coding Problems
- Appealing Treatment/Reimbursement Denials
- Getting Paid
- Unpaid Claims — What to Do about Them
- Conducting an Effective Job or Practice Search
- Marketing Your Practice Effectively
- An Overview of Antitrust Laws Affecting Physicians
- Tips to Protect Your Practice while You Are Away
- Closing Down a practice
Additional Online/Print Resources supported by OHSF
Practice Management for Psychiatrists: The Basics [free online to Members. The e-book is posted both as a single document download and as a chapter-by-chapter download for ease of printing.
Information on Mental Health Parity can be found on the APA website www.psych.org under Managing A Practice or on the APA co-sponsored site www.parityispersonal.org.