APA Coding Network for Our Members
Maintained by the APA's Office of Healthcare Systems & Financing
Questions about CPT coding or problems with reimbursement? Write to us and
- include your name, APA member number, city, state, phone number, fax number, and e-mail address;
- state the question or describe the problem thoroughly, but succinctly—a short paragraph is usually all that is necessary;
- include any relevant correspondence from Medicare carriers, insurance companies, or third-party payers;
- cite any actions that have been taken relating to the problem, i.e., calls made, letters written;
- send via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (907-703-1089), or mail (Office of Healthcare Systems and Financing, APA, 1000 Wilson Boulevard, MS 1825, Arlington, VA, 22209). All questions will be answered as quickly as possible.
APA Procedural Coding Courses and Workshops at the Annual Meeting
CME courses devoted to general CPT coding and CPT coding using evaluation and management codes, as well as a CPT workshop are offered each year at the APA Annual Meetings.
2014 AM Course Materials for Seminar 13: CPT Coding and Documentation Update
Note: 2015 course materials will be posted in June after the Annuam Meeting.
APA CME Online Courses
Evaluation and Management Coding (CPT) and Documentation for Psychiatrists
CMS Documentation Guidelines for Evaluation and Management Services
Document abridged and modified for psychiatric services, Office of Healthcare Systems & Financing.
Procedure Coding for Smoking Cessation Counseling
There are several procedure codes available to describe services provided to encourage behavior change in individuals who use tobacco. Click to learn about the use of these codes.
See more resources on smoking cessation and mental illness.
More online print resources supported by OHSF
Quick Practice Management Guides – Documents exploring common practice management issues encountered by psychiatrists.
Practice Management for Psychiatrists: The Basics [free online to Members. The e-book is posted both as a single document download and as a chapter-by-chapter download for ease of printing.
Information on Mental Health Parity can be found on the APA website www.psych.org under Managing A Practice or on the APA co-sponsored site www.parityispersonal.org.